Monday, January 19, 2009

Proof That Advertising Works

I was hesitant whether to post this or not for fear that you all wouldn't get it. I'm pretty sure this is one of those "had to be there" moments. But the main purpose of this blog is for my own family memories and this something I want to remember.

This morning as I was cleaning up breakfast, I was watching the muted TV (in honor of Dolores :)). For some reason, we do that quite often in our family. The commerical for the product "The Snuggie" came on. (FYI...for those of you not familiar with this product, it is a blanket that has sleeves so you are free to use your hands. They say that a blanket keeps your hands trapped inside but with this wonderful product you are able to use your hands to do a multitude of things: read a book, answer the phone, use the remote, eat a snack, and so on.) While this is a clever idea for a product, the name is one of the silliest things I have ever heard. Maybe it's just us, but Jason and I grew up as knowing the word snuggie to be another name for a wedgie. We get a good chuckle out of this commercial whenever it comes on. Today I found that is is even better to watch it without sound and just watch the words that flash on the screen

(for this to be funny, in your mind, use the word wedgie [because that's what I always think of] instead of Snuggie)
Snuggie-Use your hands
Snuggie-Use the remote
Snuggie-Have a Snack

Of course I had to pass this on to Jason. I could hardly get the words out because I was laughing so hard when Katelyn piped up from the computer chair (100% serious and very disgusted),

"You guys! That's not funny! That's what keeps them warm!"

This got us laughing even harder, so she continued in her disgusted tone...

"When you use a blanket your hands are trapped inside!"

I guess she's paid attention to the commercial. The makers of The Snuggie would be pleased to know they got their message across. :)

6 comments:

Lauren said...

We had scene that commercial too and we DIE laughing. I think it's a ridiculous product, but always get a laugh for the day. Nice memory! :)

Anonymous said...

That is so cute, Kara! I love those moments when it doesn't make sense, but you laugh your head off until you are senseless! Kim

Winterhollers said...

Kara, that is hilarious! We have also gotten a kick out of that commercial. It was definately the big joke at our house, Craig threatened to get me one for Christmas...

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

When we first saw this commercial, Natalie wanted to get "The Snuggie". She thinks it would be something of great use. I told her a "snuggie" is when your undies are up your bottom. Like Kate, she didn't think I was very funny, and went on to tell me how wonderful it would be. lol!!!

D.B. said...

kids crack me up, no pun intended. ;)

first lady said...

Oh that is funny.. We too have seen this commercial and thought wow that is strangle they would name it that !!!!

Email me at:

kjbischoff@yahoo.com